Established in 1925, the Archdiocese Archive was the first institution of its kind in Poland. In 1933, the post of Archive director was entrusted to Rev. Józef Nowacki. Passionate about history, he immediately set about organising the documents of the Poznań diocese. He personally handled nearly every single piece of material held in the archive. The job of deciphering centuries-old language, making translations from Latin, and taking careful notes must have been a truly meticulous task. The priest’s labours were interrupted by World War II, after which nearly all his accomplishments lay in ruins. Yet, in 1945, he set himself to work again with renewed zest, recompiling the now dispersed holdings. Some of the Archive’s oldest documents are nearly 800 years old, and some bear papal, royal and bishop signatures. The collection also features richly-illustrated medieval manuscripts as well as books printed in the first years after printing was invented.