In the late 17th century, seeking to improve the quality of their monastic life, the Jesuits set up a leisure garden. Ambitious and open-minded, the monks quickly converted it into a botanical park. The park was experimental – the friars planted new plant species and observed their growth. In the garden and from the monastery, the friars observed and described the laws of nature. The Poznań Jesuit Priest Józef Rogaliński described the laws of physics and created one of Poland’s key astronomical observatories.
Józef Rogaliński (1728–1802) was among Wielkopolska’s most outstanding residents in the 18th and 19th centuries. He made his name as the founder of the Poznań centre for mathematical and physical research.
Today, the garden’s arrangement reflects a design dating back to the first half of the 19th century, which combines the French style of row gardening with an English-style park.