In the 16th century, Poznań enjoyed a period of great prosperity. Its authorities chose to revamp its architectural image in keeping with the latest Renaissance trends. To that end, they chose to hire an expert to redesign Poznań and change its image. Therefore, in 1550, they brought to Poznań the Italian architect Giovanni Battista di Quadro. His first commission was to reconstruct the town hall, whose present appearance is of his design. As the city architect, Quadro designed many of Poznań’s townhouses as well as the Weighhouse, the Jesuit College and the Arcades. The result must have been pleasing to the eye, as visitors to Poznań would refer to it as exquisite (Posnania elegans civitas).