Part and parcel of the city’s history are the struggles of its residents with natural disasters, including floods and fires. Since the 17th century, responsibility for fire safety rested with the craftsmen’s guilds. Poznań activists associated in professional corporations divided the city into areas placed under the charge of specific trades. Due to frequent fires which would rapidly consume wooden structures, it became necessary to adopt ever newer technologies and solutions. Thus, in 1793, Poznań became one of Poland’s first cities to install lightning rods on top of the city’s buildings on a massive scale. In 1842, a Poznań Rescue Society was set up that associated volunteer residents. In 1877, a professional fire service was established and, a decade later, provided with its own building.