Following the dissolution of the order of Conventuan Franciscans, its church was passed on to a German Catholic parish. Much of the Monastery was either torn down or salvaged to house various social institutions. In ca. 1912, at the site of the Monastery’s former utility buildings, the Prussian authorities erected an edifice that accommodated the municipal administration, tax collection desks, and a building authority.
Despite a deep-seated aversion to Polish traditions, the building follows the neo-baroque style to ensure architectural consistency with the rest of the district.
The building’s complex shape encourages observation. A particularly appealing feature is the neo-baroque gable that stands out against the panorama of the street.