1. Widok kościoła od strony ul. Masztalarskiej. Fot. ze zb. WUOZ.
1. Widok kościoła od strony ul. Masztalarskiej. Fot. ze zb. WUOZ.
1. Widok kościoła od strony ul. Masztalarskiej. Fot. ze zb. WUOZ.
« 1 of 3 »

From its very establishment, the Dominican convent of St. Catherine of Alexandria (after whom the sisters are named the Catherines) was an elite institution. It associated girls from the most prominent noble families in Poznań and Wielkopolska. Membership in the order served as proof of the power of the family from which a nun came. Although supported exclusively by voluntary contributions early on, the sisters were among the first in the 16th century to derive the majority of their income from rent collected from properties around the city. Since 1926, the church and convent have been owned by the Order of Silesian Priests, for whom the site has special significance as the place of worship of a group of Poznań youths who were under the Silesians’ care and who were murdered by the Nazis in 1942 and later beatified in 1990. Their names were Czesław Jóźwiak, Edward Kaźmierski, Franciszek Kęsa, Edward Klik and Jarogniew Wojciechowski.

Brama Poznania z lotu ptaka
×