The magnificent courthouse was erected in 1908 to serve the needs of the Prussian justice system. Also at that time, the German authorities passed a new law which included the famous “rag” clause that banned any public meetings in Poznań held in the Polish language on pain of judicial prosecution. Poles found various ways to circumvent this unfavourable law, one of them being to hold open rallies just outside the city limits. In the early 20th century, the Prussian administration could only operate within the boundaries of the law. Poles readily took advantage of any loopholes to further their patriotic efforts.