The post office existed at its current site as early as the end of the 18th century. Its building was the first administrative structure erected in the new Prussian city. In the 19th century, Poznań became a significant node in the European system of transportation routes. To handle increased traffic, the old post office was replaced in 1883 with a new monumental building, which was subsequently remodelled in the 20th century. Along with technological advances and social transition, improvements were also seen in postal services. Stagecoaches were replaced by railways, the telegraph came into use, and, since 1885, a telephone network was available. Upon its completion, the structure was one of Poland’s, and Europe’s, most magnificent postal buildings.