In the early 19th century, King Friedrich Wilhelm III established the Evangelical Union Church, which unified Lutheranists and Calvinists in Prussia. The highest institution representing it in the Poznań Province was the Royal Evangelical Consistory. The Consistory protected the interests of the local Protestants, an overwhelming majority of whom were German, and sought to promote the growth of Protestantism in the city. To that end, it initiated social projects and expanded church organizations. An example of its work is the 1894 construction of the Consistory’s new building. The construction of the Consistory building was financed by the Prussian state budget.