In 1800, the administrative limits of Poznań were expanded to incorporate the previously autonomous areas of Chwaliszewo, Cathedral Island and Śródka. The rapidly growing city needed a new bridge across the Warta. The first iron bridge to replace the existing wooden structure was completed in 1878. Once in place, the bridge helped expedite traffic along a crucial route connecting Berlin and Warsaw. The bridge itself was dismantled after the Warta became regulated. Fragments of the right-bank bridgehead can still be seen near the cross.