In the 19th century, the world officially ushered in the modern era. In Poznań, its beginning was symbolised by the arrival of the gasworks in 1856. To finance its construction, the city issued special bonds. This remarkably sophisticated and immense facility changed the face of the city. It brought gas lighting to city streets, public buildings and private dwellings. To meet growing demand for utilities in the gasworks area, the city also constructed waterworks and a municipal power station. Coal for the gasworks was initially shipped upriver from the port of Szczecin. Once a railway was built to Silesia, this fossil fuel was moved by rail. Water from the river was also used by the power plant’s boiler house. Resembling a cathedral, the building had three naves, towering façades, tall windows and a decorative top.