When the Poznań stronghold lost its significance to the Prussian authorities in the late 19th century, it was dismantled. The western fringes of the City Centre, where the western battlements were demolished, was named the Imperial Forum or, after its dominant structure, the Castle Quarter. It was laid out around a square (today’s Mickiewicz Square) in which a monument to Otto von Bismarck, notorious for his anti-Polish policies, was erected in 1903. The development fit into the so -called Ring designed by Josef Stübben, who proposed using the stronghold grounds for a system of modern squares and alleys. This caused the city to pivot away from its historic Polish (the Old Town) and religious (Cathedral Island) sections and face the west.