This Evangelical shrine was constructed in 1869 thanks to a “magnificent contribution” from King Frederick Wilhelm IV of Prussia. Over the years, the church was perceived as a symbol of Protestant presence in Poznań. On the request of the ruler, who was a patron of the arts and an ardent romantic, the church was rendered in the neo-gothic style, considered at the time to be Germany’s national choice. This was the first project of its kind in Poznań and one of the period’s most successful renditions in the Prussian state. The church was situated on the outskirts of Poznań near its defensive embankments. Its high tower dominated the neighbourhood until it was overshadowed by the monumental buildings of the Castle District.