The building complex currently owned by Adam Mickiewicz University was built in 1909 to house the Prussian Royal Academy. Although not a fully-fledged institution of higher learning, it educated mainly young members of the German intelligentsia and bourgeoisie. The institution’s buildings were designed in the northern renaissance style. Its most grand room was its auditorium, which to this day serves as a venue for key municipal and academic events and concerts. After Poles triumphed in the Wielkopolska Uprising of 1919, the University of Poznań used it to officially inaugurate its activities.