In the late 19th and the early 20th centuries, Wilhelm Square was one of Poznań’s most prestigious addresses. It was home to posh restaurants and hotels, banks and department stores. The Square also offered shopping opportunities, among other places, in the former Hasse & Co. department store. The two bottom floors of this 1908 urban building featuring a highly ornamental façade housed high-end garment shops. The upper floors were entirely residential. The department store’s grandiose decorations were intended to inspire well-to-do Poznań residents to shop there. The owners’ ambitions were made clear by the building’s appearance and functions, mimicking those of the large department stores which were then being built in Berlin.