Simultaneously with the establishment of the Polski Theatre came the idea to construct a seat for the Poznań Society of the Friends of Sciences. Established in 1857, the organisation was Poland’s leading scientific institution in the Poznań province, which at the time had no universities. Members of the Society included prominent scholars as well as lovers of science and art, who shared a recognition of the need for promoting Polish initiatives in such fields. With financing raised in a public fund-raiser, they succeeded in constructing in the early 1880s a magnificent building which housed an antiquity museum, a conference room and a sizable library. As in the case of the Polski Theatre, funding for the Society’s operation was expected to come from rental proceeds. The income came from renting a street-side tenement house constructed especially for that purpose in 1908.