Erected in 1910, the new Municipal Theatre building replaced the obsolete theatre structure at today’s Plac Wolności. This monumental classicist-style edifice fit perfectly into the new urban development plan created for that part of town. It was envisioned as a temple for the arts, designed to further the German cultural mission in the East. The building was topped with a distinctive Pegasus figure. As the new theatre was designed mainly for average residents of Poznań, all seats in the audience were expected to provide an equally good view of the stage. The theatre was also prepared to receive the Emperor. It had two magnificent boxes set aside for Wilhelm II. Both could be accessed via a dedicated entrance and separate stairwell.