This very unusual building was constructed in Poznań in 1886. The building was owned by the Evangelical community of Old Lutherans, a denomination which refused to recognise the early-19th-century union of Protestant churches concluded in Prussia. The group were repressed by the authorities, who branded them “separatists”. Although severely underfunded, the community succeeded in preserving its identity and raising sufficient funds to finance its activities. It used the money to construct a modest place of worship within the city.