In the 1880s, the sisters of St. Elizabeth’s Congregation, who had moved to Poznań from Silesia, had a convent constructed at Łąkowa Street. Over the following three years, they worked with dedication, helping the city’s sick and poor, particularly children. Faced with a growing demand for health care in Poznań, the Sisters chose to build a hospital, and completed the project in 1909. During their years of service helping the destitute, the sisters received no support from the Poznań Council, which otherwise generously funded Protestant initiatives. The Polish community was initially averse to the Elizabethan sisters, believing that, being Silesian, they were in fact Germans set on promoting their culture’s ways and language. As more and more Poles joined the Convent, this initial distrust towards the sisters was replaced by gratitude for their Samaritan service.
The hospital facility employed the latest technologies, including Poznań’s first lift. The street in front of the building was paved with oak tiles to ensure patients would not be disturbed by noise.