By the mid-19th century, Poznań’s famous Grammar School had moved from the former Jesuit School building at Gołębia Street, and relocated to an edifice at Bernardyński Square. Despite efforts by the Prussian authorities, and as one might expect of a Catholic organization, the High School remained distinctly Polish throughout most of the 19th century. In response to a stricter Germanization policy and the banning of the Polish language from schools, young people became increasingly involved in patriotic and self-improvement activities. In time, numerous clandestine high-school clubs, which had grown in number, merged into a single association headquartered in St. Mary Magdalene High School. The Poznań School produced a great number of outstanding alumni, among them nearly all of Wielkopolska’s leading social and political activists, artists and scholars.
Today’s High School is the heir and continuator of Poznań’s fine ad sanctam Mariam Magdalenam tradition dating back more than 700 years to 1303.