A secondary education was the highest level of schooling that could be attained in 19th-century Poznań. High school graduates were highly esteemed and given a chance to seek university admission. In the early 19th century, the city was home to only one high school, which attracted a great number of students. For this reason, in 1834 it was split into a Protestant part, almost exclusively German, and Friedrich Wilhelm Grammar School. The Prussian authorities expected this division to improve educational opportunities for the German residents of Poznań, while dampening the patriotic fervour of Polish youth. Thanks to the efforts of outstanding educators, the school maintained its high educational standards. As Germanization continued, school curricula became increasingly centred on the German language, and subjects were expected to foster Prussian patriotism. This negatively affected Polish students, who found it difficult to get promoted to higher grades. Expanded on three separate occasions, the High School building bears testimony to the construction trends followed in 19th-century Poznań.