In 1895, one of Poland’s oldest publishing houses, in continuous operation to this day, was formed at the initiative of archbishop Florian Stablewski. Since its activities were hoped to awaken the religious and patriotic spirit among Poles, St. Adalbert was selected as its patron saint. A breakthrough came in 1902, when Rev. Piotr Wawrzyniak took over its management. The organisation afterward grew rapidly, becoming Poland’s leading book seller and publisher.