The decision by the Prussian authorities to erect the Poznań Stronghold had an adverse effect on the city’s green spaces. Compressed into a small area within a fortified ring, Poznań had little room for parks and gardens. In 1834, a number of the city’s Polish and German residents who cared particularly about improving the quality of life in Poznań, set up a Society for the Beautification of the City and its Environs. Thanks to its efforts, a regular tree-planting campaign was launched in Poznań’s squares and along its streets. Poznań’s oldest green space, established back in the early 19th century, is a square popularly called the Green Gardens. The Gardens have served Poznań residents for nearly two centuries, providing a magnificent recreation spot. A spectacular fountain was constructed in the garden square in the late 19th century. It has since been replaced with a contemporary version.