In the early 19th century, healthcare in Poznań found itself in a dire state. The city’s Polish residents felt compelled to remedy this problem. They formed a public board for hospital construction under the honorary auspices of Duchess Ludwika Radziwiłłowa, the wife of the Governor of the Great Duchy of Poznań, and cousin to the King of Prussia. Her backing helped bring to Poznań the Daughters of the Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, popularly known as “the Grey Sisters”, who specialised in helping the ill. The construction of the new hospital was financed predominantly through the generosity of numerous residents who took part in a massive fund raiser. A large donation to the cause was provided by Count Edward Raczyński. The hospital was officially opened in 1823. It long remained the most advanced institution of its kind in Poznań.
The hospital was placed in the buildings of the former convent of the Sisters of St. Bernard, which had been dissolved by the Prussian authorities.