The building is part of the stronghold which the Prussian authorities erected in Poznań in the 19th century. The city’s life took a back seat to defensive priorities, which prevented any refurbishment and construction of buildings on and around stronghold grounds. Meanwhile, Śródka’s housing stock fell into disrepair and was in urgent need of renovation. Their owners lodged numerous petitions to the authorities complaining of the trials and tribulations to which they were subjected by existing laws. They demanded that the useless fortifications which stood in the way of Śródka’s development be demolished. Their wish was finally granted in 1910 and in following years.