In the late 19th century, Śródka was in a sorry condition. Its houses were crumbling, eroded by repeated floods, and their repair was largely blocked by defensive regulations. Housing there was overcrowded, and the living standards appalling. This all changed after the fortress and flood dikes were levelled, in part by the hands of Śródka residents themselves. Starting in the early 20th century, the former one-storey buildings were gradually replaced by city tenement houses. One such building is the 1904 townhouse at ul. Ostrówek 10/11. While its ground floor was rented to service establishments, the upper floors housed flats with living rooms on the street side and bedrooms in the back. The kitchen and other utility rooms were placed in an outbuilding.