The Royal School for the Deaf and Mute was opened as early as 1832. The school offered educational opportunities to hearing-impaired children. The institution operates to this day, and is one of Europe’s oldest organisations of its kind. The school for the hard of hearing was housed in the former Reformist Monastery. The Reformist monks constructed it along with the church in the 17th century. At the turn of the 20th century, new buildings for the school for the hearing impaired were erected, providing new classrooms and gymnasiums.