Poznań’s first tram line was opened in 1880. However, trams only went as far as the Cathedral, which marked the symbolic limits of Poznań. Although officially incorporated into Poznań in 1800, Śródka was marginalised by the city hall. Its residents called on the authorities to speed up development and raise the standard of living in the District. They fought a long battle for the construction of a new iron bridge to replace a dilapidated wooden traverse. Upon the project’s completion in 1905, it finally became possible to extend the tramline all the way to Śródka. Several years later, the local community won its fight for a sewage system and gas lighting.