Wielkopolska’s railways originated in the mid-19th century. The first initiative to build a railway came from the local Polish community, which wanted to establish a service connecting Poznań with Berlin and Warsaw. Ultimately, however, it was political and military considerations that determined the design of Poznań’s railway junction. The military had the final say on the layouts of individual lines and the locations of the first and subsequent train stations outside the fortress walls. Within two decades, convenient rail service was established between Poznań and Szczecin, Wrocław and Berlin. This was without a doubt a developmental leap for the city and its residents.
Railways in Prussia started out as privately financed ventures. In time, the authorities chose to nationalise railway companies and turn over their management to the Prussian administration. In 1895, the State Railway Board was established in Poznań with its headquarters at today’s Taczaka Street.